The JMC IRC is on OFTC, and only accepts registered Nicks. Here is how you go about joining the channel.
- First get a standard IRC client, for example mIRC on Windows.
- Select the Nick you would like and connect to OFTC (is usually a predefined server available in the client).
- Once connected (check proxy settings if you fail to connect), execute the commands necessary to register your nick so that only you can use it:
/msg NickServ register <pwd> <email>
(for example "/msg NickServ register mypassword1 firstname.lastname@example.org")
/msg identify <pwd>
- Next validate your nick by going to https://services.oftc.net/ and login with Nick as username, and the password you used in step 3.a, then go to Account → Verify and complete the captcha.
- You should now be able to join the #jmc channel in your IRC client.
If you now want to use Matrix/Riot as your client, you need to accomplish the following additional steps:
- Start Riot and create your account: https://riot.im/app/#/room/#_oftc_#jmc:matrix.org
- Start a chat with @_oftc_NickServ:matrix.org
- In that chat, send register <pwd> <email>
- Validate your Matrix/Riot Nick with OFTC, just like you did your standard OFTC IRC Nick.
- Link your Matrix Nick to your local OFTC Nick created in the first steps by executing the following in the chat with NickServ
link <OFTC nick> <password>
- Log into the JMC channel: https://riot.im/app/#/room/#_oftc_#jmc:matrix.org