|Table of Contents|
The adoption group was formed out of the global Java User Group Group (JUG) Adopt OpenJDK programme aims programme. The original programme is expected to be folded up into this adoption group over time.
"To promote and support community involvement in the development, adoption and evangelism of OpenJDK projects"
As a longer explanation, the Adoption group's mission is to increase the quantity and quality of community contributions in a sustainable and scalable manner.
The adoption group aims to:
- Lower technical barriers, allowing more developers, JUGs and organisations to get involved in OpenJDK
- Improve the quality of Java (the language and the platform) with a focus on testing and clearing technical debt
- Promote OpenJDK in the wider Java community
- Broaden the base of contributors to OpenJDK
Much of this program will get ported over time to the OpenJDK itself (especially wiki style documentation).
Adopt OpenJDK has several initiatives on the go, a representative sample is below:
- Building OpenJDK - Up to date instructions on building OpenJDK across O/S's, IDEs,
- Test Fests - Write tests to improve the quality of Java
- Testing Java 8 - Get the Java OSS (and closed source world) tested early with OpenJDK/Java 8
- Lambda Tutorials - Learning resources for developers new to Lambas in Java 8
- Betterev - Improve the patch submission, build and test lifecycle for OpenJDK
- Javacountdown - Ensure the world is using the safest "Java in the browser"
See Adopt OpenJDK Projects for the full list.