- Pass all appropriate certification tests for Java SE 7
- Include a complete, native Cocoa-based UI Toolkit
- Provide excellent performance
- Integrate into main-line OpenJDK 8
- DONE. Mac OS X is now 'just another platform' in OpenJDK 8
Minimum requirements to run
- An Intel Mac
- RAM: 2GB
- Mac OS X 10.7.3
Note that only Mac OS X 10.7.3 and higher will be an Oracle-supported platform. It should continue to run on 10.6.8 + Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 6 but that is not guaranteed. As of 1-Jan-2012 there are no plans to introduce 10.7-only APIs into the codebase.
- Hardware: Any 64-bit capable Intel Mac
- RAM: 4GB
- Mac OS X 10.7.3
- Xcode: 4.1 or later from the Mac App Store (free download)
- Mercurial: http://mercurial.berkwood.com/
JTReg is not required to build but useful for running regression tests
If you install Xcode after installing the Apple provided Java for Mac OS X, you will have to re-install the same Java for Mac OS X or a later developer preview to correct headers in the JavaRuntimeSupport framework. This issue is expected to be resolved in a future release of Xcode.
As of Xcode version 4.3 you have to manually install the command line compilers and tools. Start Xcode, open Preferences, choose the Downloads tab, and then install "Command Line Tools".
1. Get the code
For JDK 7u
For JDK 8
Set the LANG environment variable if it isn't set, then run make:
- Steps for incremental building
3. Smoke Test
If you have the Java Developer Package installed:
On Mac OS X 10.6 use the alternate location for the SwingSet2.jar:
Please join the macosx-port-dev mailing list and ask!
See something wrong on this page? Fix it!
- Join the email@example.com mailing list
- Send an e-mail to the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list:
- Request editor rights to the "OpenJDK Mac OS X Port" wiki
- Include your Oracle SSO Username
- Download an official or unofficial build
- Open /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app
- Drag both "OpenJDK 7" entries to the top of the list
- Run "java -version" in /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app